Saturday, July 17, 2010

Trey's story so far . . .

Kelly is recovering from an unexpected c-section so I (Blue) wanted to give an update on how things are going and what took place. I'll leave some details for Kelly to write about, especially the info on the umbilical cord.

We were admitted to Good Sam after a concerning MCA doppler test. This test showed probable anemia. Anemia is a scary word around our house since it was the first problem that we were told Claire had. The doctor wanted to do a PUBS procedure, which is essentially a blood transfusion for the baby in utero. As the hours went by another concerning thing appeared and that was the baby's heart rate decelerations with every contraction. The doctor on call still wanted to schedule the PUBS for the next morning. We felt ok about it since he is considered one of the best at this procedure. Another doctor, Dr. Cook, who has been our favorite since our first meeting with the high risk docs, startled us by saying he was leaning towards delivery soon. He didn't like the heart rate decels. This was scary because Trey would be 7 weeks premature and have a whole other list of possible complications with his suspected anemia. I, honestly, didn't like the idea of delivery. Kelly and I prayed for guidance. Immediately after Kelly started contracting more and the baby had more decels. Dr Cook told us that he wanted to go to delivery now. They delivered him at 9:19pm and to everyone's astonishment Trey's cord was wrapped tightly 5 times around his neck and twice around his body. Two of the doctor's present later said they had never seen a cord wrapped that many times and so tightly and that his cord was the longest they've ever seen in their practice. Trey immediately cried, to my huge relief, and started breathing on his own and turning pink. They rushed me and Trey to the newborn ICU (Phoenix Children's Hospital wing) while Kelly recovered. They hooked him up to monitors. His heart rate? Perfect. His breathing rate? Perfect. His oxygen saturation? Perfect, 100% with no oxygen. In fact, he hasn't needed even a puff of oxygen to this minute. He is skinny and small, but very active. I was able to hold him for a couple hours until Kelly arrived. She, like I, was anticipating tubes, drains, oxygen, and discouraging news. Imagine her surprise when she was wheeled in to the NICU to see me holding him, no tubes, and baby Trey sucking on a pacifier. He has since maintained this extraordinary condition and hasn't even hinted at anything concerning. He has even ate at all 4 feedings, something they definitely didn't think he would be able to do at such a premature age. By the way, he is not anemic at all!
I am thrilled with what has happened thus far. I feel profoundly grateful! I have felt everyone's prayers in our behalf. Thank you everyone for what you have done!

I wish we could be sure that everything will continue to progress like this, but Trey has a very long road ahead of him. They like most preemies to stay in the hospital until around their due date so he has some big milestones to achieve before Kelly and I will feel relief. As they say here, anything can change at any moment and take a turn for the worse. He has to gain weight, learn how to coordinate eating and breathing simultaneously, regulate his body temp, show signs of good digestion, and many, many more things. I'm most worried about infection. His immune system is so immature that any sort of virus that affects his lungs would be very worrisome.

That's the gist of things for now. There is a lot more to the story. Personally, I feel that God has a purpose on earth for Trey and that he influenced and oversaw the events and actions over the past few days.  Please continue to pray for him!

- Blue

16 comments:

Jenn Comolli said...

Amazing! I can't believe that the cord was wrapped around him. I'm so glad they took him when they did. God is definetely watching over him. I pray that he will continue to get stronger every day and meet his milestones so that you can take him home soon!

Alicia said...

That is wonderful, wonderful news. I am so glad to hear things are going good. I really think your research on cord issues had a play in this. I really think you guys can save a lot more babies with this information. I am still praying for your family and little Trey to stay healthy.

Jill said...

Thank goodness for you two and the doctors being in tune with the spirit! So glad to hear he is doing so well. We'll keep praying that he will continue to do well and a quick recovery for Kelly. If you need anything don't hesitate to call!
-The Stewarts

Keri Stout said...

That is such wonderful news that he is doing so good. Bryan was born at weeks and got to go home week later. Hoping and Praying for Trey and Kelly and the rest of the family.

Pam Norris said...

He sounds like a chow hound and will be able to gain weight quickly. Thanks so much for the update, Blue. Our prayers will continue and if Kelly is discharged and needs rides back and forth to see Trey and you are trying to work, let me know and I will be glad to help with whatever you guys need. God is amazing, isn't he?

Bri said...

YES! I am so happy you updated, Blue...THANK YOU!! What an incredible story. How intuitive you and Kelly have been, along with the doctor who decidd to deliver him. That chord....I cannot believe it. Total insanity...five times! I thank God every day for how our medicine has progressed, and we still have such a long way to go. If Kelly needs someone to watch your kids while she heads to the NICU in the weeks ahead, don't hesitate to ask!

Jenn Comolli said...

Cute pics! Thanks for adding them. He's a handsome little guy! :o)

Frankie and Krista said...

He is so cute! We are so happy for you guys and will continue our prayersfor your family!

the lucas' said...

I'm so glad everything is still going well. He is so cute! I think he looks alot like Blue! Thanks for the updates :)

Alicia said...

I am so excited you put pictures up. He is adorable. So cute. Still praying everything will continue to go well.

Bri said...

Aaaack! You added pictures! I'm so glad I went back to read it again. He is gorgeous. Perfect. Small but mighty! Love him already!

Erica said...

I have such happy tears rolling down my cheeks right now. I am so grateful for that. I will continue to pray for your sweet miracle

Kaylani said...

What a miracle to have him doing so well. Thank goodness for Dr.'s that are in tune and do what they feel is right. I am thankful for your family to get to finally hold this precious little bundle! We love you!

Pam Norris said...

He is beautiful! Looks around between meals. Proud brother and sister, no doubt. Thanks for the picture posts, as well.

Katie said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! He is precious. I pray that all continues to go well for your sweet family.

Cindy said...

What a scarey time for you all Kelly!!! Trey is truly a little miracle. I am so glad he is doing well. He is just gorgeous too!!!
Much love to you all