Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An angel gone home





My grandma passed away peacefully Friday Night in her home. She was almost 93. She'd been hanging in there all these years for my mom; they were so close. Mom said she had a deal with God... but at last the Spirit whispered to both Mom and I that it was time. It started with a dream a month or so ago. I was there in Grandma's house and all the memories were there with me but she was gone. It was as though I was being led back through the shadowy veil of time to those most special days I spent with Grandma and my guide leaned in and whispered, "It's time. It will all be over soon, so remember. Remember and cherish."


After that dream memories of her popped into my head at the most random times. I knew it was for a reason. So I shared this with my family and my closest friends and tried to prepare. I will never be ready to let her go - my mom especially won't be. We are too selfish! But Mom told her a few days ago that she'd been the best mom anyone could ask for and it was okay to go. Grandma didn't live more than a day later.


My grandma was the most loving person I have ever known. She loved the Lord quietly and steadily all her life. Similarly she loved her husband, though he was tragically taken from her when Mom was only 6 months old. She spoke of him like they were newlyweds. She loved books and poetry. I've never known anyone who could recite so many classical passages. She loved gardening and cultivating land. And she spent many days calmly passing time with family and neighbors who were as close as family. Can you see how she shaped me? If there is one person in this world who inspired me it is her. God is at the center of my heart; I'm a romantic to the core; books are what I overspend on; I crave being outdoors and gardening; heart to heart visits with family and friends mean the most to me.


I feel so lucky to have had such an influence, and for so long. I only wish I could have been there to see her reunion with my grandfather... but while I miss her I want to live out her values, dreams and ideals while my time here is not complete. Welcome Home, Grandma. Send me messages whenever you can!

6 comments:

laura said...

That is so sweet. She sounds like a great person. Someone you could really look up to. 93! Way to go grandma! I got your message. I will call you soon

Taylor and Stephanie Haught said...

I am such a nerd becuase I am sitting here at 7:00 in the morning balling my eyes out! That was so nice what you wrote about her. I am glad you kind of came to peace with her passing before it even happened. It helps to be prepared when a loved one leaves us! I hope your mom can hang in there as well and that she knows that she will see her mom again.
We can't wait to see you guys this weekend. Send the kids our love!

Stew and Traci said...

Kelly, I really enjoyed our conversation this morning and look forward to many more. I too was touched by your words, my father passed away about six years ago and it is so wonderful to be able to share experiences with others who have had similar situations. I hope that you will be able to recieve those "messages" from her in your times of need. Thanks again!

S. and A. Millar said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandma! She was a very special lady and I feel privlaged to have known her! She always made me feel like family when I was around her, and she will be greatly missed! But now is her time to live the life with her husband that she missed out on here on earth, and I'm sure she is right were she longed to be! Its great how you are able to take such a sad thing and turn it into a positive, by taking her example and living out her legacy! My thoughts are with your family, and I will see you on the 28th.

Shawn H. said...

Kelly, "Send me messages when you can," tore me up. I've never met your sweet grandma and I bawled for 10 minutes. What a heartfelt tribute to that woman! I, too, was close to my grandparents; all 4 are gone now. I love to talk about my granddads, as they were characters (to say the least). However, I can't talk about my grandmas unless it's a funny story. To reflect on their qualities and how it felt to have those 2 women love me really tears me up. Wonderfully written, Kelly!

Sara Schletter said...

That is beautiful. Im glad your grandmother is in a place to better take care of your whole family.